Lecturers and Teaching Assistants
Prof. Harry Dym
Course Schedule and Location
Monday, 14:15 - 16:00, FGS, Rm A
Field of Study, Course Type and Credit Points
Mathematics and Computer Science: Lecture; Elective; Regular; 2.00 points
- Basic Topics 1, or its equivalent
Attendance and participation
No final exam or assignment
Estimated Weekly Independent Workload (in hours)
Topics will be selected from the following list
- Inertia theorems
- Matrix equations
- Triangular factorization.
- Characterization of positive definite matrices.
- Minimal norm completion problems.
- Banded matrices and band extensions
- Maximal entropy completion problems.
- Courant-Fischer theorem.
- Inequalities for singular values.
- Numerical range.
- Matrix inequalities.
- An eigenvalue assignment problem.
- The LQR problem (from control theory).
- Elements of complex function theory and contour integration.
- Rational matrix valued functions.
- Interpolation problems.
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to
Demonstrate additional familiarity and facility with the tools, concepts, and applications of linear algebra they acquired in Basic Topics I.
Lectures will be adapted from selected parts of the text: Linear Algebra in Action. Copies of this text are available in the Math Library and the library adjacent to the Ulmann building.