Specific papers, primarily from the list below, will be indicated for reading during the course.
Note the page numbers in bold – these are the pages you are required to read. When no page numbers are mentioned, read the entire article.
PDFs are available at the course site
- Von Uexküll, J. (1992/1934) A stroll through the worlds of animals and men: A picture book of invisible worlds. Semiotica 89:319-391 (p. 319-352, 383-390).
- Kuhn, T.S. The Structure of Scientific Revolutions (The University of Chicago Press, Chicago and London, 1962) (p. 111 – 135; Chapter X. Revolutions as Changes of World View).
- Chalmers, D.J. What is a neural correlate of consciousness. Neural correlates of consciousness: Empirical and conceptual questions, 17-40 (2000) (p. 1-9 of the pdf file).
- Sheinberg, D.L. and N.K. Logothetis (1997) The role of temporal cortical areas in perceptual organization. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 94:3408-3413.
- Ahissar, E. & Knutsen, P.M. Vibrissal location coding. Scholarpedia 6, 6639 (2011).
- Ahissar, E., G. Nelinger, and L.Z. Gruber (2019) Schematic framework for theories of perception. Scholarpedia 14:52463.
- Powers, W.T. (1973) Feedback: beyond behaviorism. Science 179:351-6.
- Van Gelder, T. and R.F. Port (1995) It’s about time: An overview of the dynamical approach to cognition. Mind as motion: Explorations in the dynamics of cognition 1:43. (p. 1-15, 36-39)
- Poggio, T. and T. Serre (2013) Models of visual cortex. Scholarpedia 8:3516.
- O'Regan, J.K. and A. Noe (2001) A sensorimotor account of vision and visual consciousness. Behav Brain Sci 24:939-73; discussion 973-1031 (p. 939-948)
- Ahissar, E. and E. Assa (2016) Perception as a closed-loop convergence process. eLife 5:e12830.
- Brooks, R. (1986) A robust layered control system for a mobile robot. IEEE journal of robotics and automation 2:14-23.
- Premebida, C., R. Ambrus, and Z.-C. Marton (2018) Intelligent Robotic Perception Systems, in Mobile Robots-Volume 1. IntechOpen. p. 111-127.
- Oliveira, M., L.S. Lopes, G.H. Lim, S.H. Kasaei, A.M. Tomé, and A. Chauhan (2016) 3D object perception and perceptual learning in the RACE project. Robotics and Autonomous Systems 75:614-626.
- Turing, A.M. (1950) Computing machinery and intelligence. Mind 49:433-460.