Chemistry module: Chemistry and structure of nucleic acids
Lecturers and Teaching Assistants
Dr. Shelly Livne, Dr. Shirley Daube
Course Schedule and Location
Tuesday, 09:15 - 13:00, Musher, Lab 2
Field of Study, Course Type and Credit Points
Science Teaching (non thesis MSc Track): Lecture; Obligatory; Regular; 4.00 points
לתלמידי שני השנתונים
יתקיימו ב27 בפברואר וב- 3 במרץ , 2020 בשעות 09:00-13:00
For students in the Rothschild-Weizmann program only
Attendance and participation
Scheduled date 1
Scheduled date 2
Estimated Weekly Independent Workload (in hours)
- The discovery of DNA
- DNA and RNA structures
- Physical properties of nucleic acids
- Analytical methods for nucleic acids characterization
- DNA binding by drugs and proteins
- DNA synthesis
- DNA transactions: replication; transcription; mutagenesis; repair.
- DNA supercoiling and packaging
- RNA - structure and function
- DNA in nanotechnology and medicine
Upon successful completion of the course students will be able to:
- Demonstrate understanding of the structure of nucleic acids and how their structure is related to biological function.
- Demonstrate understanding of basic experimental approaches to study nucleic acids.
- Develop teaching protocols on nucleic acids and adapt them in the classroom.