History and Philosophy of Education
Lecturers and Teaching Assistants
Prof. Nir Orion
Course Schedule and Location
Thursday, 12:30 - 14:00
Field of Study, Course Type and Credit Points
Science Teaching: Lecture; Elective; Regular; 2.00 points
Science Teaching -Teaching Certificate: Lecture; 0.00 points
*Obligatory only for Teaching certificate
Attendance and participation
Required in at least 80% of the lectures
Estimated Weekly Independent Workload (in hours)
The first part of the course will focus on the acquaintance with the five schools of philosophy of education: Essentialism, Progressivism, Perennialism Existentialism, and Behaviorism.
The second part of the course will focus on the acquaintance with Israeli schools and to look for the kind of educational philosophy that those schools have been implemented.
Upon successful completion of this course- students should be able to:
- Recall the five main educational philosophies.
- Describe the characteristics of the five main educational philosophies.
- Explain the sources of the different educational approaches.
- Differentiate progressive and non-progressive educational approaches.
- Discuss critically limitations of each of the five educational approaches.
- Identify an educational philosophy of a specific school.
- Choose an educational approach that suitable for your own educational philosophy.
- Select and employ learning and teaching characteristics for your educational philosophy.
- Analyze the variables that might influence my own educational philosophy.
- Critically analyze the influence of teaching approaches on the implementation of my own educational philosophy.
- Discriminate the actual educational philosophy of a school out of its declared philosophy.
- Recognize and formulate the advantages and disadvantages of each educational philosophy.
- Assemble all the educational components needed for the fulfillment of your own educational philosophy in your school.
- Evaluate the outcomes of a specific educational philosophy on students and teachers.
- Summarize the main contributions of the selected educational components on the fulfillment of your own educational philosophy in your school.