Mathematical models are present in all of the scientific disciplines , providing a quantitative framework for understanding and prediction of natural phenomena. The output from such models, as well as observations, often requires complex mathematical analysis. The course provides an introduction to mathematical modelling and data analysis through in depth discussion of a series of real examples, with an emphasis on 'hands on' exercises.
Topics will include:
- Ordinary differential equations and numerical solution
- Linear equations and eigenvalue
- Data analysis using EOF, PCA and SVD
- Mining of Big Data
- Advanced modelling and PDEs
- Combining models and data - optimization