Lecturers and Teaching Assistants
Dr. Omer Yaffe, Dr. Matan Menahem
Course Schedule and Location
Tuesday, 09:15 - 12:00, Musher, Lab 1
Field of Study, Course Type and Credit Points
Science Teaching (non thesis MSc Track): Lecture; Obligatory; Regular; 4.00 points
Attendance and participation
Estimated Weekly Independent Workload (in hours)
- Brief review of basics of quantum mechanics- Harmonic oscillator, particle in the box, transition dipole moments, symmetry.
- Vibrational spectroscopy - IR spectroscopy, including FTIR, Raman scattering
- Electronic spectroscopy, Lasers
- Vibronic spectroscopy, including resonance Raman.
- Surface spectroscopy
- Nonlinear optics and spectroscopy
- Time resolved spectroscopy
- Single molecule spectroscopy
- Photoelectron spectroscopy
Upon successful completion of the course students will be able to:
- Describe the basic concepts behind the interaction of light with matter.
- Discuss the relation between quantum mechanics, symmetry of the molecular systems and spectroscopy.
- Relate molecular properties to their spectra.
- Aanalyze vibrational and vibronic spectra.
- Physical Chemistry, Mcquarrie and Simon, University Science Books
- Modern Spectroscopy, J. M. Hollas, John Wiley & Sons
- Molecular Vibrations, Wilson, Decius and Cross, Dover Publications