Didactics of teaching Earth Sciences
Lecturers and Teaching Assistants
Prof. Nir Orion
Course Schedule and Location
Thursday, 09:15 - 12:00
Field of Study, Course Type and Credit Points
Science Teaching -Teaching Certificate: Lecture; Obligatory; Regular; 0.00 points
Obligatory For Students In The Teaching Certificate Program
Location- Earth and Planetary building
Attendance and participation
Estimated Weekly Independent Workload (in hours)
The course includes a direct acquaintance with all the facets of the Earth sciences high school 5 credit points program. The students will interact with all the teaching and learning strategies and environments of the various units of the program: lab, outdoor, computer and all the evaluation tools of the program. The concrete experience with the program will raise various didactic issues that will be discussed throughout the course.
Upon successful completion of this course- students should be able to:
- Demonstrate familiarity with all the learning units of the Earth sciences high school program.
- Demonstrate familiarity with the lab inquiry-based component program.
- Demonstrate familiarity with the outdoor inquiry-based component program.
- Describe the outcomes of each learning unit.
- Explain the reasons for using a specific teaching strategy.
- Differentiate between the learning difficulties of students.
- Discuss critically how to combine teaching strategies with learning strategies.
- Identify learning style and learning difficulties of students.
- Select and employ teaching strategy that suitable for a specific student.
- Critically analyze the influence of a teaching sequence on students understanding.
- Recognize and formulate the advantages and disadvantages of various teaching strategies.
- Evaluate the outcomes of a specific learning unit.
- Summarize the main contributions of the selected educational components on the fulfillment of the objectives of a specific unit.