Different applications of computer programming and geometric software will be explored as useful tools to support inquiry and problem solving in mathematics. We will focus but not restrict to concepts and methods taught in high-school level mathematics.
In particular the following aspects will be taught and experienced
- Fundamentals of programing, including variables, loops and use of mathematical functions (e.g. random number generator)
- numerical approaches for solving or approximating various mathematical calculations including:
- Areas and perimeters
- Integrals and derivatives
- Ordinary differential equations
- Algebraic equations
- In each context, the affordance of empirical approaches for inquiry and problem solving will be discussed.