Physics module: Thermodynamics and statistical mechanics
Lecturers and Teaching Assistants
Prof. David Mukamel
Yaar Vituri, Evyatar Tulipman, Noga Bashan
Course Schedule and Location
Tuesday, 09:15 - 12:30, Drori Auditorium
Field of Study, Course Type and Credit Points
Science Teaching (non thesis MSc Track): Lecture; Obligatory; Regular; 4.00 points
Attendance and participation
Estimated Weekly Independent Workload (in hours)
- A brief review of concepts from thermodynamics and statistics.
- Basic concepts of statistical mechanics.
- Ensemble theory-classical approach.
- Classical ideal gas and other applications.
- Phase transitions
- Ensemble theory-quantum mechanical approach.
- Quantum ensemble theory.
- Quantum ideal gases (Fermi-Dirac and Bose-Einstein) with applications to electron gases, thermal radiation, cosmological background radiation etc.
Upon successful completion of the course students will be able to:
- Demonstrate proficiency in the basic concepts of statistical physics and their applications in other branches of physics such as astrophysics, condensed matter physics and chemical physics.