1) Introduction: The structure and basic function of neurons
2) The Ionic basis of the resting potential: Nernst equation, Goldman equation. Pumps.
3) Passive membrane properties: Equivalent electrical circuit, cable theory
4) Active membrane properties and the action potential
5) Hodgkin-Huxley experiments and model
6) Diversity of Ion Channels: Permeability, electrophysiology, single-channel recordings, channel structure. Ligand-gated ion channels (glutamate, GABA, glycine, serotonin, calcium).
7) Synaptic Transmission - General overview. Measurements and modeling of synaptic transmission: The reversal potential, synaptic conductance, excitation and inhibition, Model of ionotropic and ligand-gated synaptic transmission. Short-term synaptic dynamics (synaptic depression and facilitation). Temporal and spatial synaptic integration. Electrical synapses.
8) Synaptic transmission: Transmitter release, vesicles, quantal release, presynaptic molecular mechanisms.
9) Receptors: Molecular cascades, pharmacological manipulations.
10) Neuronal and synaptic plasticity
11) Advanced topics in cellular electrophysiology
12) Exam Rehearsal