1. Geometrical optics: Fermat's principle, refraction, transformation optics, Hamilton's equations, ABCD matrices, simple optical instruments.
2. Waves: interference and reflection. Fresnel coefficients, transfer matrix, scattering matrix, Bragg reflector, Fabry-Perot interferometer.
3. Polarisation: plane electromagnetic waves, Jones vector and Poincare sphere, reflection and refraction at interface, Brewster angle, birefringence.
4. Fourier optics: scalar diffraction, optical Schroedinger equation, Fresnel and Fraunhoffer regime, Wigner function, Gaussian beams, nondiffracting beams, accelerating beams.
5. Applications of Fourier optics: diffraction theory of the lens, resolution limit, microscopy. spatial and spectral filtering, gratings.
7. Wave guides: slab waveguide, effective index profile, Silicon photonics, ring resonators, GRIN devices, transformation optics on chip.
8. Fibers: analogy to waveguides, dispersion, single-mode/multi-mode fibers, photonic-crystal fibers.